Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Reading


This is the second year of GBS' Summer Reading Program and I am very much looking forward to participating again. I had a really memorable discussion about Warriors Don't Cry with the students and faculty in our group last year. It's a very powerful, well-written memoir. I can't imagine reading it and not being moved by Melba Pattillo Beals' courage and strength, particularly given her youth. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing it again this year with a new group of students.

Speaking of powerful reads--another book I'm reading--which I got from the GBS Library's Paperback Exchange Cart, by the way--is War is a Force that Gives us Meaning by veteran war correspondent Chris Hedges. It's an incredibly profound book. I don't think I can do it justice, so I've included this review from the New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment